2018 - 2020 Douglas County Republican Platform
2018-2020 Douglas County republican Platform
1. County Policies
- The County should follow the land use plan set forth in the Master Plan and strongly resist changes thereto.
- The County should not approve any new taxes without a vote of the people.
- The County shall consider all new ordinances and regulations for “sunset” review provisions.
- The County shall resist any and all efforts by any outside entity to use or divert water from the Carson River Aquifer.
- The County shall not permit marijuana dispensaries.
- The County shall prioritize infrastructure over all new projects.
- We support revising the current Douglas County policies to allow mining claim development without Douglas County retaining mineral rights.
- We are opposed to any form of subsidized housing to be planned, permitted, or built in Douglas County, except in compliance with constitutionally permitted Federal law.
3. Budget and Finance
- The County should adopt Zero-Based Budgeting in formulating its budgets.
- The County shall not divert monies raised through taxation or bonding for a specific purpose to any other purpose without the approval of the voters.
- The County must oversee its accounts such that irregularities are discovered in a timely manner.
- The County shall not borrow money secured by general obligation bonds without the approval of the voters.
- Any County expenditure item brought by the Board of County Commissioners in a public meeting shall identify the revenue source(s) funding such expenditure.
- Any decline in County revenues shall be accompanied by a parallel reduction in County expenditures.
4. Transparency and Accountability
- The County shall with forthrightness and expediency publicly report any and all issues of concern regarding irregularities in its accounting or policies.
- The County District Attorney’s priorities shall be first to protect the best interests of the citizens of the county and then to protect County assets.
5. County Employment
- Ideally, the County shall not negotiate any employment contract for a term longer than three years.
- All wage increases for County and school employees shall be based primarily on performance.
- The Douglas County Board of Education shall withdraw from using Common Core standards and curriculum.
- The Douglas County Board of Education shall allow parents to opt out of any and all SBAC tests administered by the District.
- The Douglas County Board of Education shall impose policies and regulations to protect the privacy of all K-12 students and their parents, especially with regard to third party vendors.
- The School District shall take reasonable measures to provide a safe environment for students and teachers.
- The Nevada Legislature shall repeal prevailing wage laws.
- The Nevada Legislature shall review all business regulations and taxes, and repeal those that discourage or overburden business formation and growth.
- The Nevada Legislature shall remove all impediments to private sector energy development.
- Nevada shall remain a “Right to Work” state.
- The Nevada Legislature shall enact laws that mandate that all public employment contracts including but not limited to union contracts shall be negotiated in a public forum, and no contractual obligations shall be agreed upon in private without an opportunity for review by the general public.
- Nevada shall mandate e-verify for all employment in any business in the state.
8. Budget and Finance
- Nevada shall adopt Zero-Based Budgeting in formulating its state budget.
- The Nevada Legislature shall reject any new tax or increase in any current tax or fee.
- The Nevada Legislature shall add sunset provisions to all applicable state programs, agencies, legislation, rules, and regulations.
- We support the repeal of the Commerce Tax.
- The Nevada Legislature or any other governmental body shall not pass legislation that includes unfunded mandates.
- Nevada shall require all welfare recipients to be randomly drug tested.
- No governmental agency or body in Nevada shall pursue or financially subsidize any high-speed rail project.
- The Nevada Legislature shall facilitate local control of schools through vouchers.
- Nevada shall return school authority to local districts.
- Nevada shall withdraw from Common Core.
- The Nevada Legislature and the Nevada Board of Education shall impose laws, rules, and regulations that protect the privacy of all Nevada K-12 students, particularly with regard to third party vendors.
- The Nevada Legislature and the Nevada Board of Education shall impose laws, rules, and regulations in support of parents’ rights to direct their childrens’ education pathway.
- School Boards in Nevada shall retain teachers based on merit and not tenure.
- Nevada shall prohibit collective bargaining for public sector unions.
- The Nevada Legislature and the Nevada Board of Education shall impose laws, rules, and regulations in support of non-discrimination against students and parents regarding personal, political, or religious beliefs.
10. Public Policy
- Nevada shall designate English as the Official State Language.
- Nevada shall repeal the law that permits the issuance of driver’s licenses to illegal aliens.
- Nevada shall not be a Sanctuary State.
- The Nevada Legislature shall impose laws, rules and regulations that prohibit any county, city, township or municipality in the state from being a Sanctuary for illegal aliens.
- The Nevada Legislature shall not approve any laws, rules or regulations that allow or mandate the removal or disbursement of water from the Carson Valley Aquifer to any entity or geographical area outside of Douglas County.
- Nevada shall petition the Federal Government to transfer all state land identified for disposal to state control.
- Nevada shall petition the Federal Government to transfer all BLM land within the state, where practical, to state control.
- Nevada shall facilitate the right to a jury trial for all persons charged with a misdemeanor under Nevada State Law.
- The Nevada Legislature shall enact tort reform.
- We support constitutional justification for all new State legislation.
11. Voting Laws, Rules and Regulations
- The Nevada Legislature shall make proof of U. S. Citizenship a requirement to vote.
- The Nevada Legislature shall prohibit same day registration.
- The Nevada Legislature shall mandate photo identification for a person to vote.
- Nevada shall not allow automatic voter registration through the DMV.
- Nevada shall retain the Presidential Caucus system to remain “First in the West” during the Presidential Campaign.
- Nevada shall promote the right of its residents to purchase and transfer healthcare insurance between states.
- Nevada shall encourage Health Savings Accounts.
- Water. We support legitimate efforts to prevent the Southern Nevada Water Authority’s “water grab” in any and all eastern, northern, western, and central Nevada counties.
13. Rights of Individuals, Citizenship
- We affirm the individual right to keep and bear arms recognized under both the U.S. and Nevada Constitutions, and we avow to preserve and defend those rights against any infringements by statute, initiative, regulation, executive order, or gun registration law.
- We support nationwide Concealed Carry Weapon permit reciprocity.
- We do not condone the actions of those who enter the United States illegally in violation of our immigration laws.
- We support full enforcement of current immigration laws and oppose amnesty, sanctuary cities, and government benefits or other special treatment (to include instate tuition) for those who are in the United States illegally.
- We support the denial of social services including health, education, or other subsidies funded through our taxes being given to any person who is not in this country legally.
- We support the reformation of immigration and naturalization laws governing time constraints, processes, approvals, and documentation.
- We support the enforcement of the requirement that employers, including the government, verify the legal residency of anyone applying for employment before actually being hired.
- We support the implementation of mandatory E-verify.
- We support a review of the automatic birthright to any child born of illegal aliens in the United States per section 5 of the 14th Amendment.
- We support securing our land and sea borders to prevent illegal entry, including the building of a wall to protect our southern border.
- We oppose DACA recipients being awarded legal status.
- We oppose chain migration and lottery system (Diversity Immigrant Visa Program).
- We support merit based immigration.
- We support legislation affirming English as the official language for conducting business at all levels of government as accepted by international business.
- We support removing Local, State, and Federal governments from the marriage covenant.
- We affirm the sanctity of life and the inherent dignity of each human being from conception to death. The unborn child has a fundamental right to life and should be welcomed into life and protected under the law.
- We oppose taxpayer funding of abortion and organizations that advocate or provide abortions.
- We support the ban on partial-birth abortion.
- We support the policy that medical, professional healthcare facilities, religious organizations, and insurers should not be compelled to participate, provide, or pay for abortions, conscience-violating, or life-ending procedures.
- We support parental notification for minors considering abortion, and we support enforcement of statutory rape reporting laws.
- We oppose the right-to-strike by public employees.
- We support a resolution, signed by the governor, declaring Nevada’s sovereignty and its rights under the 10th Amendment to the United States Constitution.
14. Congressional, Executive, Judicial
- We support term limits for members of Congress.
- We support the policy that all new legislation should contain a sunset provision, except in matters relating to defense issues.
- We support the requirement for Senate approval of all recess appointments upon return from recess.
- We support the return of vigorous oversight by Congress of all administrative agencies.
- We support constitutional justification for all new federal legislation.
- We support a thorough review and revision of the Endangered Species Act, based upon independently verified scientific data, to give more consideration to fiscal impacts on local citizens and economies.
- We support reducing the time that any federally regulated business must retain transaction records from twenty to seven years.
- We support lifting the now decades old “temporary” moratorium on mining claim patents.
- We support a policy that Nevada water, as a native natural resource, remain under Nevada control.
- We support a transfer of all unincorporated Nevada lands to full State ownership and control acceptable to the State.
- We support strict limits, to protect civil rights, on the use of drones in U.S. domestic airspace.
15. Defense and Foreign Affairs
- We support a strong national defense and oppose any efforts to weaken our military strength.
- We support rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution to U.S. citizens only.
- We oppose any action that places the U.S. Constitution in a subservient role to other nations or international organizations in determining any policy, treaty, or course of action.
- We oppose implementation or support of Agenda 21, adopted by the United Nations in 1992, because it directly leads to centralized control over private property.
- We support the policy of Zero-Based Budgeting.
- We support the elimination of corporate bailouts.
- We support eliminating foreign aid to those countries that show contempt for the United States.
- We support elimination of the Departments of Energy, Education, and Labor.
- We support defunding any remaining Stimulus programs, and oppose any additional Stimulus programs.
- We support a flat income tax.
- We support a further reduction or elimination of the corporate tax so as to be more competitive with foreign countries.
- We support elimination of the tax on repatriated income.
- We support elimination of the Inheritance (death) Tax, and the Capital Gains Tax.
- We support a genuine independent audit of and the re-evaluation of the need for a Federal Reserve.
- We support reformation of Social Security to create a sustainable program and to eliminate the ability of the Executive and Legislative branches from spending funds from Social Security.
- We oppose any action that would institute “Cap and Trade”.
- We oppose any limitations imposed by the Federal Government on the development of natural resources (States Rights, 10th Amendment issue).
- We support the repeal of the Dodd-Frank and Sarbanes-Oxley laws, and the reinstatement of the Glass-Steagall Act.
- We support the immediate defunding and repeal of the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Public Law 111-148), also known as Obamacare.
- We support the transfer and control of the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository from the Federal Government to the State of Nevada.
- We support positioning Yucca Mountain as a world-class, high tech nuclear research, storage, and science facility predicated upon sound, safe, and proven scientific principles.
- We support elimination of the Federal and State Minimum Wage Laws.
- We support legislation eliminating all executive orders that relax qualifications for welfare benefits.
- We support returning “Workfare” (7U.S. Code 2029 – Workfare) to its original intent and application as passed by Congress in 1996.
- We support welfare reform to require welfare recipients to be drug-free via drug testing as a condition of continued receipt of welfare benefits.
- We support a program to improve health care that includes tort reform, purchase of insurance across state lines, tax-credited health savings accounts, expanded client pool, and other benefits offered by the States.
- We oppose all unfunded mandates.
17. Veterans Affairs. We support and honor our veterans and demand the U.S. Veterans Administration’s health care system be overhauled to provide veterans first-rate medical care in a timely, convenient, and professional manner.
18. Agriculture. We are dependent upon bees to pollinate some of our flowering plants many of which produce food, however, large companies are producing herbicides, pesticides, and GMO crops, and also insect-resistant plants, some of which kill bees. We do not support products that kill bees or contribute to their declining population.
19. Constitution. We demand our elected officials at all levels support and give effect to the Constitution, as prescribed in Article VI and resist all efforts to enforce it via changes under Article V.